A Stay of Execution
|Reward||Heavy Flail of Weakness
x8 Potion of Cure Light Wounds
x2 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
x2 Scroll of Heroism
x2 Scroll of Haste
x500 Gold Coins
1060 Experience Points.
A Stay of Execution is a Quest in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Quests can provide unique adventuring experience, as well as powerful gears and treasures. Some quests are time-limited and some can only be completed with certain companions.
A Stay of Execution Information
The brave souls gathered in the Defender's Heart survived the first attack and the ensuing chaos, but they are not out of the woods yet. Everyone understands that the death sentence issued by the demon lords has not been quashed, simply postponed. No one knows when the execution will come, but each person hopes against hope to live long enough to see the threat pass, and to receive the clemency of fate...
A Stay of Execution Objectives
- Who knows when the demons will deal the final blow to the Defender's Heart? The next wave of attack could have unexpected consequences — and not only for the crusaders barricaded in the tavern, but for the city at large.
Inform Irabeth that the troops are ready to battle
- The demons are coming. They are already close at hand. The heroes still have a little time to check their gear and catch their breath before the battle starts.
Defend the Defender's Heart
- The demons are here! The executioner's axe is raised high, and now only the tavern's defenders can stop it from falling where it till.
A Stay of Execution Walkthrough
- You receive this quest shortly after awakening in Defender's Heart from Avenia, who is worried that by leaving on a task for Irabeth leaves them vulnerable.
- After visiting Market Square, a random encounter will trigger on the world map involving a messenger under attack from demons. Rescue him, and he will inform you of an imminent attack on Defender's Heart. You can choose to ignore him, go with him, or make your own way. (Don't take too long, or the quest will fail)
- After arriving at Defender's Heart, speak to Irabeth to trigger the battle. If you complete the battle with full defense objectives cleared, you earn a total of 1375 Experience points, including 690 from the final reward and 685 from kills during the battle, as well as about x1436 Gold Coins' worth of mundane equipment and the Heavy Flail of Weakness as a final reward. An additional 1259 gold can be obtained from a cart marked Loot after the battle.
- If you manage to attack the Grey Garrison before the defense at Defender's Heart, you will receive Heavy Flail of Weakness, x8 Potion of Cure Light Wounds, x2 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, x2 Scroll of Heroism, x2 Scroll of Haste and x500 Gold Coins. You also receive 1060 Experience Points.
A Stay of Execution important NPCs
A Stay of Execution Completed quest information
The executioner's axe swung at last — and missed. But this is merely another reprieve. The demise of mortalkind and their world is inevitable as long as the Worldwound exists. And still, the Defender's Heart beats on. The crusaders ready themselves for a counterattack.
A Stay of Execution Tips & Tricks
- Travel to the Blackwing Library before the attack in order to recruit the Knights of the Flaming Lance for "A Common Cause", otherwise they will be dead on arrival
- In the event you manage to prepare everything for your assault on the Gray Garrison and initiate that before the cultists attack Defender's Heart, you still get all of the rewards listed above and complete this quest.
- If your deity is Cayden Cailean you get a unique buff for this mission.
- You should also visit the tower of estrod before this fight in order to get an early interaction with Greybor.
This wiki is either wrong or hasn't been updated. In my current game (latest patch 1.3), I didn't even visit the Market Square yet and I ran into the messenger. He didn't even let me go back to the inn myself and said I couldn't possibly make it back without him because the cultists have the inn surrounded!
Note: I cleared the cultists in the Tower of Estrod and reported back to Irabeth before running into the messenger. Maybe that's what triggers the encounter.
In my first play through when the game launched, I clearly remember visiting Market Square and recruiting Nenio before having to go defend the inn. So maybe it's completely random in the end.