The Burning City is a Quest in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Quests can provide unique adventuring experience, as well as powerful gears and treasures. Some quests are time-limited and some can only be completed with certain companions.
The city that for years guarded the border between the Worldwound and the rest of Golarion is no more. Kenabres has been reduced to a flaming ruin where a desperate battle is raging. Everything hangs in the balance: will the story of the cruasades end here and now — or will mortalkind have one last chance for victory?
Help the crusaders attack the Grey Garrison
- What was the point in getting to the surface just to end up in another bloodbath? The underground passage led straight into the Gray Garrison, where cultists and crusaders were battling for control of the old barracks. Things could be worse — though there are enemies nearby, there are allies to be found as well.
Find the Storyteller
- The crusaders are seeking the advice of a strange elf who calls himself the Storyteller. If he is still alive somewhere in the ruins of Kenabres, he must be found at all costs.
Bring the Storyteller to the Defender's Heart
- The old elf known as the Storyteller almost died in the ruins of the Blackwing Library. He is willing to help the crusaders if they bring him to safety — and the only safe place left in Kenabres is the Defender's Heart.
Find an item that can cleanse the Wardstone of corruption
- The Storyteller confirms that the Wardstone of Kenabres is corrupted. Even worse, since it is the first, crucial stone in the chain, the demons can use its corruption to affect all the other stones on the border of the Worldwound. He does not know if there is a tool that can fix this — but he insists that he will recognize the right object if it is brought to him.
Find a secret entrance to the Gray Garrison
- The Gray Garrison is well fortified — the crusaders made sure of that. Attacking from the front will come at a heavy cost… But what if there was a weakness in the garrison's defenses? Now the knights will be praying that they can find a flaw in their own fortifications. Funny how things turn out...
Discuss the Gray Garrison attack plan with Irabeth
- Swords sharpened, armor on, spells prepared, allies assembled. It's time to discuss the plan of attack with Irabeth and surge forward.
Prevent the Wardstone from being corrupted
- "Everything hinges on this battle." Soldiers often hear this refrain from their commanders. It is usually a lie. Wars are not won or lost at a single stroke. After a resounding victory or a catastrophic defeat, it can take months, even years before the final victor is determined. The fate of the world is not at stake in this battle. What is at stake are the lives of the several hundred thousand people who will inexorably perish if the Worldwound expands beyond the borders of old Sarkoris. If the defenders of Kenabres lose, the war will continue... But it will do so without them.
Return to Allies
- It was a strange victory, one that delivered more questions than answers. What happened in that instant when the Wardstone flashed brighter than the sun? What did that flash presage for the hero, for the city, and for the world? The truth of this will be revealed in due course. But for now, it is time to rejoin the allies and tell them of this victory.
Gray Garrion (First Visit)
Up on leaving the underground you will encounter Irabeth, the leader of the Eagle Watch, who informs you that the Wardstone has been shattered and thrown into the top floor of the Gray Garrison. She will join you as you fight your way to the Wardstone
You will fight a number of enemies on your way to the Wardstone:
- 2x Baphomet Cultist, 2x Deskari Cultist, 2x Neophyte Sharpshooter
- 8x Baphomet Cultist, 2x Cambion, 2x Cultist Evoker, 2x Neophyte Sharpshooter, 2x Dretch, 3x Deskari Cultist, 1x Neophyte Wizard
- 2x Abrikandilu, 2x Dretch, 2x Neophyte Sharpshooter, 1x Baphomet Cultist, 1x Deskari Cultist, 1x Neophyte Wizard
- You can find Irabeth right after you leave Kenabres Underground.
- When you follow Irabeth clearing the cultists, it's a good idea to use ranged attacks and let her tank for your team.
- Be sure to loot all valuables in your path in Grey Garrison, once you reached the third level, the road will collapse, preventing your to return.
- You will find the demoness in front of the Wardstone. If you succeed in persuasion checks, you may turn some cultists to your side. However, the battle itself is unwinnable, once your whole team been put down, a cutscene will happen and 8 hours later you wake up in Defender's Heart.
Upon awaking in Defenders Heart you will be provided with a number of quests which are completed as part of the Burning City:
- Spies Amidst Our Ranks
- A Common Cause
- A Stay of Execution
- Gwerm Family Secrets
- The Divided City
The core actions required for The Burning City spesifically are:
- Find the Storyteller
- Bring the Storyteller to the Defender's Heart
- Find an item that can cleanse the Wardstone of corruption
- Find a secret entrance to the Gray Garrison
- Discuss the Gray Garrison attack plan with Irabeth
- The secret entrance to the Grey Garrison can be found at Market Square, near some tieflings. The ones you can help to add to the quest A Common Cause.
- The Purple Stone Knife can be found near the place where Terendelev died. You have to interact with a crumbled tower. During this interaction, you have the possibility to retain the Aeon's power within yourself. It requires the Aeon Mythic Path.
- The Storyteller can be found at Blackwing Library, if you have high Perception skill and Lore (Religion) Skill, you can find that the crusaders there are imposters. You can use high Athletics skills to knock out one enemy before the fight begins. If you meet the requirements, you can also use the Mythic Trickster choice to send the cultists to the Grey Garrison, avoiding a fight entirely.
- After you deal with the traitors, talk to the Storyteller and escort him back to Defender's Heart.
- Talk to the Storyteller again at Defender's Heart and show him the Purple Stone Knife, you gain 368 Experience. Then speak with Irabeth. If you have gathered all three group of allies (quest A Common Cause) and are confident to attack Gray Garrison, tell Irabeth it is time to strike now.
- Depends on how many allies you gathered in A Common Cause, there may be several crusaders and tieflings show up in Gray Garrison to help you.
- The first floor of Gray Garrison is now filled with demons and cultists, try to lure them out one by one using doors, and always watch for traps.
- There's a succubus at the center of this level, if you have the detect magic skill and high persuasion, you can turn some of the charmed recruits to your side.
After you defeat all the enemies, examine the statues located along the walls. There are three statues of people and three statues of angels. In the hands of statues can be a staff, a hammer, only a sword or a shield with a sword.
Then, examine the altar, on which lies a book with a prayer. This is the key to solving the puzzle. Read the prayer carefully to understand the sequence of interaction with the statues. There are both people and angels in prayer. You also need to know who and what weapon used.
You can solve the statue puzzle by following order:
- Statue of a human with sword and shield
- Angel statue with shield and sword
- Angel statue with sword
- Angel statue with a hammer
- Statue of a human with a staff
- Statue of a human with a sword
- On the second floor, you can loot Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Cloak of Resistance +2, and Scythe +2 from Jeslyn.
- To reach the third floor, you need to use the top right stair at the 1st floor first to reach the right side of the 2nd floor.
- A giant minotaur guards the stair of the third floor, you can loot Blocker (+1 Greataxe) from him. You have to a pass a Mobility check to reach the wardstone.
- Once you reached the Wardstone, you will have to decide what to do with it. But before you make any decisions, buff your team, and get ready for a fight. Minagho will then appear with lots of demons to attack you.
- Once the battle is over, Minagho will vanish. Leave the area. A cutscene will be triggered in the tavern where everyone is celebrating the victory over the demons.
Once interacted with, the Wardstone will give you 5 different options:
- Destroy the stone with all the Angels inside.
- Quell the anger of the red warriors by offering them peace. This is a Good action and requires Angel Mythic Path.
- Cleanse the Wardstone, destroying the fallen celestials. This is a Lawful action and requires Angel Mythic Path.
- Wield the stone's magic and return the celestials to their rightful plane, as the aeon would have wanted. This is a Lawful action and requires Aeon Mythic Path.
- Unleash the demonic fury. This is an evil action and requires the Demon Mythic Path.
- After the demoness been defeated, Staunton Vhane will appear and rescue her.
- In the book event, decide what to do with the angels trapped inside the Wardstone. You will gain a Mythic Hero class.
Completed Quest Information
Sometimes, against all the laws of warfare and reason, the outcome of a battle is decided by a miracle. The ravaged and burning city suddenly bared its teeth and repelled the demons, who were already celebrating their victory. What happened in the Wardstone chamber? What power granted this reprieve to the mortals? And what will they do with this unexpected gift?
- Note and tips go here...