The festival organized to raise the spirits of the city has ended in death and destruction. Those lucky enough to survive ended up in the ancient catacombs beneath Kenabres, catacombs in which, so the rumors say, live a brood of bloodthirsty humanoid creatures.
Find other survivors
- One strike of the demon lord's titanic scythe and the merriment turned to terror, and toasts of celebration turned to moans of the dying. For those lucky enough to survive the calamity, it makes sense to seek out fellow travelers in this misfortune.
Find the way up
- Even at the best of times, the caves beneath Kenabres have always been considered a deadly trap, but now that earth tremors have collapsed many of the passages, it will take a miracle for those swallowed by the darkness to find their way back to the light.
Rest in the hut
- The mongrels say that the Shield Maze that leads to the surface holds many dangers. Before setting off, it would be wise to rest in a village hut as Chief Sull advised.
Storm the Shield Maze
- The mongrels are ready to storm the Shield Maze to get back their children. A laudable plan, but one which will likely require assistance if it is to succeed.
Find the way through the Shield Maze
- The time has come to leave the mongrels to deal with their own matters and focus on getting back to the city. The huntress Wenduag believes that the Shield Maze leads to the surface, but she cannot find the way out alone.
- The cultist Hosilla has made herself quite at home in the Shield Maze. The only way out of this place is over her dead body.
Return to Kenabres
- There is no way left but up for those swallowed by the darkness. It is time to return to Kenabres.
Underground Caves of Kenabres
After finishing Day of the City, you will fall into the hole created by Deskari. Once you wake up in the underground, you regain control. Go right and you will find Anevia and Seelah. Interact with them to earn 125 Experience. Seelah will ask for your help:
- Succeed in Athletics (12) or Knowledge (World) (12) checks to help Anevia get out of the rubble.
- You can also select the Diplomacy (12) option. Note that this is an Evil action.
- If you succeed, you earn 48 Experience.
Anevia and Seelah will introduce themselves to you, and talk about the demon's invasion and the fall of Terendelev and will proceed to ask about you. Once introductions are in order, Seelah will join your party. She's a Paladin (See Builds if you are not sure how to develop her character)
Move forward, you will eventually find a chest containing the weapons Hulrun confiscated before the festival. You can find:
- Weapons based on your class
- x2 Everburning Torch
- x1 Flail
- x1 Cloak of Resistance +1
- x1 Longsword
- x1 Shortspear
Ahead of the chest is one of Terendelev's Scale. Continue moving forward, and you will meet Camellia who will join your party. When the conversation ends you earn 125 Experience and you can loot the dead body of Aravashnial next to Camellia, to obtain a Masterwork Dagger.
There are a number of enemies as you progress along the path:
- x3 Centipede
- x2 Giant Fly
- Giant Centipede and 2x Spitting Giant Centipede
- Monitor Lizard
Eventually, you will reach a broken archway with some collapsed columns and Lann and Wenduag. Lann will tell you that they are looking for a holy Angelic sword. Once the conversation ends, you will earn 300 Experience.
This area contains:
- A Statue of an Unknown Knight (Relgion 17)
- There are a number of hidden lootable objects in this area behind low level Perception checks. One of these will contain the the holy sword, touch the sword to trigger a book scene.
The book scene will provide a vision and reveal what happened to Lariel the owner of the Sword. The Scene will provide the below checks:
- (Will 10) Be determined to fight the illusion.
- (Knowledge (Arcana) 10) Attemp to resist the malign influence
This scene unlocks the Angel Mythic Path.
Accessing the next area requires passing a Mobility (14) check.
The following path contains a number of enemies:
- 3x Giant Spiders
- 2x Giant Spider 3x Spitting Giant Centipede
- 3x Giant Spiders
There is a branching path requiring a Mobility (11) check containing:
- 3x Earth Elementals
- Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Leave the area, and you will reach the Mongrel Settlement. You will meet Chief Sull and gain 250 Experience.
Note: You will be presented with the choice of revealing the Light of Heaven or hiding it. This is a significant choice impacting the rest of the Prologue.
- (Lawful) [Requires Angel Mythic Path] [Reveal the Light of Heaven] "Lann speaks the Truth"
- (Chaotic) "Lann is mistaken. We didn't find the sword"
- Revelaing the light will have Lann join you for the rest of the Prologue.
- Concealing it will have Wenduag join you for the rest of the Prologue (Recommended for higher Difficulties as this will reduce the difficulty of the final fight)
- He will offer you 1000gp if you agree to lead him back to the Surface.
- Diplomacy (16) will increase this to 2000gp
- This will add the Quest: Gwerm Family Secrets
You will be able to rest in a hut in the North of the Village.
- Remember to Level Up and assign spells to Camellia before you rest.
- If you decided to show the Light of Heaven to Chief Sull, Wenduag will be gone the next day.
- If you concealed the Light of Heaven, Lann will be gone.
Merchant Drya - Suggested Purchase:
- Quiver of Cold Iron Ammunition (This will allow you to pierce a demon's Damage Reduction)
Head to the northeastern part of the map to leave to village.
Note: The route diverges slightly based on whether Lann or Wenduag is your companion, though the overall route remains the same.
Follow the path to the gate. When you are in the gate, move forward for a Lore (Religion) (5) check to notice a bas relief of Baphomet, a Demon Lord.
The Shield Maze contains a number of Enemies and Traps:
- 1x Baphomet Cultist, 2x Neophyte Wizard, 1x Neophyte Sharpshooter
- 1x Baphomet Cultist
- 3x Corrupted Mongrel
- 1x Cultist Champion
- 3x Corrupted Mongrel
- 1x Corrupted Mongrel Guard, 1x Corrupted Mongrel Ranger
- 1x Corrupted Mongrel Brute, 1x Corrupted Mongrel Ranger
- 1x Neophyte Fighter, 1x Neophyte Sharpshooter, 1x Hand of Hosilla
- 1x Corrupted Mongrel Guard, 1x Corrupted Mongrel Ranger, 1x Corrupted Mongrel Brute, 1x Corrupted Mongrel
- 2x Neophyte Fighter, 2x Neophyte Sharpshooter
- 1x Neophyte Wizard, 1x Cultist Champion
- 1x Hand of Hosilla, 2x Neophyte Cleric
- 2x Monitor Lizard, 1x Ferocious Monitor Lizard
- 1x Cambion Ranger, 3x Cambion
- 1x Cambion Ranger, 3x Cambion
- 2x Medium Earth Elemental
- Tome of the Minotaur: Sermons from the Labyrinth
- Ring of Protection +1
- Hosilla's Orders
- Hosilla's Key
- Amulet of Natural Armor +1
- Potion of Haste
- Radiance (a Cold Iron Masterwork Longsword that can be upgraded later; for a Paladin, it will transform into a +1 Longsword)
There is one puzzle within the Shield Maze. In the center of the map, there is a large room with paintings mounted on the walls, and each painting has a color associated with it. The solution to the puzzle is to select the gems in the same order as the paintings: Yellow, Blue, Red, Yellow.
Large Water Elemental
- Neutral Outsider
- Level 8 Outsider
- Hit Points: 68
- AC: 18
- Damage Reduction: 5/-
- Damage: 14 - 21
The Water Elemental is a powerful enemy for new adventurers. It has the Greater Cleave ability (allowing it to hit multiple characters) and 5 Damage Reduction on all damage.
The following potions can be used to substantially decrease this combat's difficulty:
- Potion of Haste
- Potion of Resist Cold
- Potion of Protection from Cold
At the end of the Area you will meet a four-armed demon, Savamelekh, for the first time and Hosilla.
In response to their actions you will have the option to call on one of your Mythic Powers:
- [Requires Angel Mythic Path] [Sieze the light hidden within you]
- [Requires Demon Mythic Path] [Succumb to the rage]
This will have a minor impact on how subsequent characters respond to you.
When you enter the scene Savamelekh will flee, and you will have to face Hosilla.
- If you have sided with Lann previously, Wenduag will appear now and fight alongside Hosilla. (Wenduag will fight with you if you picked the Demonic path)
- If you sided with Wenduag, Lann will appear and fight with you regardless of your choice above.
- If you sided with Wenduag, about halfway through the fight Wenduag will kill Hosilla for you.
Chaotic Evil (Human)
Level 6 Inquisitor
Hit Points: 69
This fight is considerably easier with Wenduag joining the fight. Otherwise you will also be forced to fight Wenduag as well.
- Hosilla will buff herself, increasing her stats.
- As she is a Chaotic Evil enemy, Smite and Protection From Evil / Chaos potions substantially lower her ability to hit you.
- Once her health is sufficiently lowered she will summon two Quasit enemies.
- At this point, if you sided with Wenduag she will kill Hosilla.
The dead body by Camellia belongs to Aravashnial, a more substantial companion in the Adventure Path.