On the Cusp of the Abyss is a Quest in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Quests can provide unique adventuring experience, as well as powerful gears and treasures. Some quests are time-limited and some can only be completed with certain companions.
After prolonged observation of the interplay of forces, it is possible to pick out certain patterns. If the so-called side of "good" unexpectedly gains the upper hand, then evil — no, it does not die — hides away, finding nooks and crannies to burrow into and wait for the moment when the enemy's vigilance wanes. In the bowels of the earth, right under unsuspecting Drezen. lurks the sinister Midnight Fane - the temple of three demon lords and the outpost of their servants. The Fane contains a rift through which the Abyssal armies have been supplementing their ranks and delivering Nahyndrian crystals to the Worldwound. This threat must be eliminated at all costs.
Locate the Midnight Fane in Drezen
- Xanthir Vang confirmed that the Midnight Fane — the source of Nahyndrian crystals on Golarion — is located beneath Drezen. The Commander should try to verify this information.
Find a way to remove the demonic seal
- The seal locking the entrance to the Midnight Fane could destroy Drezen if it is broken. Iomedae's herald believes that he can protect the city, but he cannot do this and open the passage at the same time. The task of removing the seal has fallen on the Commander's shoulders. By exploring the area around Drezen and the studying the traces of demon activity, he may be able to find a way to do this.
Wait for the Queen to Arrive and remove the demonic seal
- Galfrey of Mendev should arrive with reinforcements at the call of her goddess's herald. Her assistance could prove crucial in the coming attack on the Midnight Fane.
Wait until the free crusaders gather to attack the Midnight Fane
- There is no need to wait for help from Mendev. The forces of those who have gathered of their own free will under the Commander's banner should be enough to attack the demons' secret lair. The message has been sent, and all that remains is to wait until the free crusaders, scattered across the Worldwound, gather in Drezen. It will take no more than a week.
Help the allies at the sounding of the horn
- The allies holding the line at the entrance to the Fane sound a horn to alert the Commander to the arrival of especially powerful enemies. Now the Commander can turn around and strike the demons from behind.
Go into the depths of the Fane and defeat the leader of the demons
- The demons must be beheaded in order to dispel their powers. Finding and defeating the leader of the Midnight Fane's forces is the Commander's first objective.
Report to Queen Galfrey about the outcome of the attack on the Fane
- The demon Darrazand has been defeated, and now the Commander sees a rift wreathed in purple flame. What to do next? This should be discussed among the allies.
- The quest is activated at the end of the Know Thy Enemy quest. Return to Drezen and speak with the Hand. You then need to find a way to break the demonic seal. You must have the Key of the Abyss Barriers to trigger the dialogue to continue and wait for Queen Galfrey for 30 days.
- You need to finish the 4th mythic level quests (different depends on the path you chose. For trickster, the quest is The Fool King.) and travel to Areelu's Lab (located below Legacy of the Ancients on worldmap. Southwest to the Ivory Sanctum). In side Areelu's lab, you will find Areelu's Lexicon of Paradox, which would be enough to remove the seal.
- In the Midnight Fane, you will need to find three keys to unlock the door to centre hall. The baphomet key can be found at western hall, on a cultist near baphomet statue. The Deskari key is on another cultist at eastern hall, near Deskari statue. The Nocticula key is on a demoness in Abyss, however if you passed the will check you can get the Nocticula key without fight.
- The real Yaniel can be found in Minago's torture chambers. If you chose to free her, she will empower the longsword Radiance (the one you found in ACT 1). You can also corrupt the sword by killing Yaniel - which option is not available, if Seelah is in your party (she stop you, if you try).
- Near the single Deskari statue there is a hidden portal leads to a secret Desna altar. (Perception and Knowledge: Arcane checks required. The Arcana check is much higher, and if fails, you get teleport into a huge pile of demons. [If you succed, then you has to fight only a few weaker undead.])
- You need to go back to your entering point once you heard your allies' horn, otherwise Queen Galfrey will accuse you later.
- Once you have all three keys, head towards the center hall and defeat the enemies there. Queen Galfrey will relieve your duty as crusade leader, instead she tasks you to enter Abyss and destroy the source of Nahyndrian crystals.
On the Cusp of the Abyss important NPCs
On the Cusp of the Abyss Completed quest information
The deed is done, but ahead lies a road to another plane, a plane of chaos and evil.
- After you trigger the dialogue option, it will take an in game month for the Queen to come.
- During your time in the Midnight Fane, if you can find one dead crusader near Minagho's torture chamber, or the Desna altar, they can help remove corruption.