Know Thy Enemy
|Reward||Research notes needed to unlock Swarm-That-Walks|
Know Thy Enemy is a Quest in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Quests can provide unique adventuring experience, as well as powerful gears and treasures. Some quests are time-limited and some can only be completed with certain companions.
Know thy Enemy Information
The war between crusaders and demons has been raging for a century, and each side has at times managed to find and apply fundamentally new powers or tactics. It seems a similar shift has happened again — extremely powerful demons are appearing in the territory around Drezen, and their abilities are far different to those of any demons the crusaders have encountered before. Knowledge is the key to victory. That means the Commander must learn the secret behind these unusual demons.
Know thy Enemy Objectives
Search for traces of unusual demon activity
- Any lead could be crucial. It's not possible that the demons have left no trace.
Explore the Ivory Sanctum
- The target is clear. Now all that remains is to go to the mysterious place, find out how the demons are gaining these powers, and put a stop to it.
Slay Xanthir Vang
- The current ruler of the Ivory Sanctum is Xanthir Vang, the swarm that walks — a powerful and dangerous creature. The demons receive their new powers at his hands — answers must be sought from Xanthir Vang.
Return to Jerribeth
- Jerribeth got what she wanted and now it is time for her to fulfill her end of the deal — by sharing information.
Know thy Enemy Walkthrough
- You'll receive this quest from Irabeth right after you retake Drezen. First, learn the location of the Ivory Sanctum from the quest A Demon's Heresy.
- Second, acquire the key to the Ivory Sanctum from The Final Sunset of Winter.
- Now you can travel to Ivory Sanctum and interact with a pile of bones to reveal the entrance to the maze.
- Defeat the enemies and open the first door by having two characters stand on the pressure plates. The demoness Jerribeth will appear and offer you a deal to work with her and get rid of Xanthir Vang. If you agree, Jerribeth's followers will not attack you in this location. (After Xanthir is taken care of, you can still kill and loot Jerribeth.)
- Keep exploring the Sanctum and be careful of the rock traps, which can instantly kill your characters.
- The button puzzle in the main hall can be solved in the following order: triangle, hexagon, pentagon, square. Solving the puzzle reveals a chest with a Mask for the quest More than Nothing and a cloak.
- In the northern part of the maze, there's a room with 2 locked doors. One of the doors can only be opened after you defeat Xanthir. The other one can be opened with a combination. A note with the code is lying in the corner. There are five buttons on the wall in another corner. Press them in the following order: square, triangle, circle, hexagon to reveal a hidden chest. Then press them in this order: triangle, pentagon, square, circle to unlock the door.
- This door leads to Jerribeth's chamber. If you turned down her offer, you now need to fight her. Jerribeth tends to use mind-affecting spells on your team, so prepare accordingly. If you accepted her offer, you'll find her here later after you defeat Xanthir.
- On the east side of the map, you'll encounter Xanthir for the first time, but he'll leave and have you fight his followers. Open the door here by having two characters stand on the pressure plates while another character presses the three buttons on the walls.
- You will later meet some golems guarding dragon eggs. If you manage to stop the golems, you can approach the eggs again and choose what to do with them.
- Continue exploring the southern area of the maze. There are three dead-end corridors with bowls that you can interact with. Each bowl will summon a ghostly minotaur guard.
- In one of the rooms with multiple chests to the southwest, there's a puzzle. The clue to solving it can be found in one of the chests. Have two characters stand on the pressure plates, then press the shapes in the order: circle, pentagon, hexagon, triangle.
- After you clear the maze, head outside using the door in the southeast. Off to the side of this area you can encounter the Vrock from the Molten Scar if you did not kill her already.
- Proceed along the cliffside and you'll be surrounded by a large group of demons. Don't worry - a group of angels will also appear and guard your back.
- Tip: Some of the demons here are mythic and will resurrect to full HP after you "kill" them the first time. If you surround them with melee characters (or ranged characters with the appropriate feats), you can get free attacks of opportunity when they stand back up.
- Continue forward to Xanthir's lab and defeat him. Be prepared to deal with a lot of diminutive swarms, which are immune to physical damage and all single-target spells. After defeating him, if you answer his question correctly (he chose Drezen due to the crystals), he will reveal more info about himself and tell you about the portal beneath Drezen.
- Loot Xanthir for his research notes - you can research these via a crusade project to unlock the late game mythic path Swarm-That-Walks - take his key, and return to Jerribeth's chamber. You can decide to attack her now or let her retake ownership of the Ivory Sanctum. If you do not attack her, she will reappear later in Act 4 and give you some minor advice on how to complete a certain quest.
Know thy Enemy NPCs
Know thy Enemy Quest completed Information
Demons from the Ivory Sanctum are no longer a threat to the crusaders. The source of their power has also been revealed — Nahyndrian crystals. How this knowledge will be of use, ony time will tell.
Tips & Tricks
- Note and tips go here...
i spared jerribeth on my 4th playthrough and she ends up being a real rock solid ally and wingman later. it's just one fight that is completely avoidable, but i was touched that she chose me over her new patron in battle.
The combination for the locked door is Hexagon, Triangle, Circle; Square
Xanthir is asking me questions after I beat him.
Be nice to see the answers here with spoilers covers may be and what happens if you answer them right or wrong.
Where exactly is Jerribeth after completing the fight with Xan?
This is NOT the right combo
In one of the rooms with multiple chests, there's a puzzle, (note can be found in one of the chests) Here's a solution for you:
To stop the golems you need to give the password, which is "password"
How does one stop the golems from destroying the eggs?
Can't find Xanthi to talk to him. Only got that part where he sticks crystal in demons .